Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crafting

     My sewing room/bedroom has been taken over lately. Not just by me either. Matt and I have both laid claim to the craft table, as of late. His for making arrows, or fixing them and painting them with cool designs. Mine for making Kaine an Angry Bird costume for Halloween and planning a Halloween/Birthday Party (for Jordan) for this coming October.
     The Angry Bird costume is going to be awesome! And, as a total bonus, I just discovered (or, I should say, my husband just discovered) that the Wal-Mart right around the corner has fabric! Apparently, they are bringing it back. Which will be really nice, especially since their sales are awesome! Anyway, about the costume, I am using a Simplicity "learn to sew" pattern #2070. I am actually using the one that looks like a bird but altering it (the applique) to look like the face and belly of the red Angry Bird (which Kaine has named "Cross" (as in, "his face is cross looking". I don't know where he learned that word). But, I am not using the hood/hat because Angry Bird faces/bodies are really all one big thing (plus, is is way, way to hot to wear a fleece hat in Florida). It comes with long sleeves that are lose and "chicken feet/legs" (because it is supposed to be a chicken) but, I am shortening the sleeves to above the elbow and debating on the legs (Angry Birds don't have legs, they just sort of hop around when, of course, they aren't being shot from a sling shot). So, I don't know. I personally think the legs will add cuteness, Matt insists that he not have legs to be more like the original. What-to-do, what-to-do?
     The Halloween party is going to be really fun to. I am in charge of the decorations and Mom is doing the food (but she keeps wanting to buy things for the tables - occupational hazard, lol).  We are doing a "black and orange" theme (mostly pumpkins, some cats and bats). It is completely, "not to scarey" and we are not (!) going to let people come in bloody/dead/scarey costumes. It would be inappropriate and we want to leave that side of Halloween out of it! But, it is going to be fun!
     Speaking of costumes, Matt and I are going to go as "Sonny and Cher" but in drag. It is going to be hilarious! Mom wants George to dress up as "Mrs. Doubtfire", which, in my opinion, would be even more hilarious!! I hope she actually gets him to do it. But, then I don't know what she would be. We are going to have a "best costume" contest, along with other games. George would be a dead ringer for winner if he came dressed like that! Ha-ha!
     I am currently planning all the decorations. I have started this early because I like to make a lot of things that I will be using. Gives my creative outlet something fun to do. It also makes the party a "one of a kind" deal instead of some "cookie cutter/prepackaged" gig.  I just want to give it that something extra. Not to mention, I get to keep awesome decor for my own house for the future! So, Martha Stewart and I are planning on having one great looking clubhouse! (By the way, if you have never been to the Martha Stewart website, it is totally worth it! Not only does she have tons of ideas but, she tells you how to create most or all of them - even the ones that she sells prepackaged at craft stores! You can get the same style for way cheaper!) So, as I am sure you know, you will be hearing about crafting for weeks now, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment