Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Getting Ready for Pregnancy


I have been looking into how to get healthy before getting pregnant. I think the end result, C-section, of the last pregnancy had something to do with the fact that I was overweight. Turns out, it is a big factor. I am currently working on controlling (lowering) my weight. Here is the update on that: I have lost inches (inches!) from my bust (or just below, I don't want to know how much boob-age I am losing! haha!), waist and hips. My hips have shown the most improvement and there is a marked improvement in my slackened-10-lb-baby-stomach. I was convinced that the stretch marks were going to prevent me from tightening up that area and trust me, I have a ton! In Matt's words, "You should have listened to me!" I think I now understand why people in the Priesthood always say it is the hardest to go home to preach. Let me explain, I knew him before he was anything, therefore, it is hard for me to see that he is a professional (and a good one!) in his field! Therefore, he talks, I hear him (notice I said hear, not listen) and then I quickly throw in my rebuttal! I am here to tell the world that I was wrong and I am going to try to listen from now on!

Okay, now that that is out-of-the-way! I have found a lot of really good advice and possible support through a friend of The Birth Center of Gainesville. Loving Arms Birthing Services, Here is the website. They are new and they are just starting up their website. I am really excited to see what they are going to come up with! I have always thought that Gainesville needs more people who are interested in this field. They are also creating a sort of half-way house and safe haven for teenage mothers called Toni's Place. Go to their website and check it out! They have a bright future ahead of them.

That was a little off subject but an important detour. Their website is what sold me on the fact that I may have a future in birth after all. I am SO against having another C-section and I would like to make this birth a more family oriented scene. Meaning, Matt, me and our midwife. I want to try a home birth this next time (I know, I don't want to hear it!). This is our decision and this is where we want to go. They have made me hope that this may be possible, after all! I have emailed Karin and Zoe and am hoping they will accept me with open arms!

The most encouraging thing that I found on their website was the ICAN link. ICAN = International Cesarean Awareness Network. I had never heard of this organization and stayed up an extra hour last night because I was so engrossed in all of the articles on their website. Go here to see what I mean. I have already contacted someone to get more information and hopefully find a local support group!

So, that is what is happening in my neck of the woods. Ooo, I like this saying! I live in the woods! This may be my new sign-off! (Yes, now I am like an anchorwoman on the news. Works though, it is news about what is going on in my life!)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Loren, I am SO happy you found ICAN! :-) You popped up on a google alert. Did you know we have nice online forums where you can post and meet other mamas and get support? Come and join us.

    http://www.ican-online.org/forum

    If that sounded too infomercially... all our support is free and every single one of us up to our President are all volunteers. This is a labor of love. :-)

    warmly,

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loren,

    Good for you for taking an active part in preventing another c-section BEFORE you are pregnant! There is a lot that can be done before conception, and it's great that you are working on it! And congrats on your successful weight loss!

    ICAN of Gainesville does have local meetings, as well as an online Yahoo group support forum. Join us here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icanofgainesville/join . We have monthly meetings at the Birth Center of Gainesville... I hope you'll join us! :-)

    The main forums that Krista mentioned above are also excellent. I recommend joining both!

    Best Wishes,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete