Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Bed Update

Kaine is sleeping better. I have been avoiding using the "sleeping through the night" comment. I am afraid that I will jinx it! I hope writing it doesn't jinx it! I have noticed that he is sleeping better now. This is what I have thought was going to happen.

Here is the downside:

Getting him to go to bed has become the biggest hassle! Sometimes you have to lay with him. Then he slowly drifts away. Sometimes you just have to keep getting up and putting him back in the bed. Tonight, Matt put him down. He even laid with him until he fell asleep. About 30 minutes later, we hear him calling from his room. I go in, he asks for milk. I think all is good. I think another 20-30 minutes goes by and we hear him calling me again. I go in and put him back in bed. I sit on the side of the bed and even turn the night light thing on, sometimes that is all that he needs. I then pretend to fall asleep (this is usually what will get him to go back to bed when he wakes up to early and I put him in bed with me). He gets quieter. I think I was not being patient and thought he was calm enough for me to leave. I tell him goodnight, thinking he is going to stay in bed and go to sleep. I walk away. Two minutes go by and I hear him flick the light on. I go in and pick him up and tell him he needs to lay down and go to sleep. I think I even said, "That is enough!" in a stern, not harsh, voice. I stay outside his room for a minute to make sure he was going to stay in bed. As I write this, it has been about 10 minutes. I think hope he is going to stay in bed this time.

I think, maybe, he has figured out that we stay up past his bedtime now. This is what is making him think he can stay up. Then again, it might just be the fact that he knows he can get out of bed! Plus, there are toys in his room and he can get to them. Not sure. It really isn't that big of a deal. I'm just impatient for it to be settled. I guess I got so used to him laying straight down in the crib and not hearing another peep from him; putting effort into it seems like a hassle! How sad is that? Maybe if he was a more cuddly infant that liked to be rocked to sleep, we would be in a different place. I don't know. Maybe if I was a more cuddly parent we would be in a different place. Of course, we will never know. What is done is done.

I know this will pass too. It has only been a week. I just need to figure out what works and what doesn't. Like everything else when one is parenting! I do so hope the next one sleeps better :).

No comments:

Post a Comment