Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Physical Preparation for Birth: Part 3

One of the reasons we have decided to go ahead with getting pregnant is because physically I have made huge progress. I can do a complete squat (although I lean forward, more on that in a second). My posture is getting better (my shoulders are starting to set back more). I have active muscle reaction (twitching) in my shoulders, this, if I am getting it right, is a sign of repair in the form of shortening a muscle that has been stretched out of place. I am sore, however. I do feel like I have trouble breathing, at some points too. I think all of this is to be expected. After all, I am resetting the skeletal and muscular foundation of my upper body.

I have also figured out why I suck at going to the gym and working out. I get to overwhelmed with all of the different exercises. I am pretty much a "do and conquer one thing at a time" type girl. (This is pretty much true in all aspects of my life.) So, I have been taking it slow. I mastered the squat, my biggest challenge. I feel empowered to move onto my posture! I feel like now that I have achieved something big, I can do anything.

There is still more work to do. I lean forward in my squat because my hip flexors are tight. This causes my pelvis to tilt forward (if you ask me, this is one of the reasons Kaine was in a bad position at birth, something that certainly needs to be remedied if natural birth is EVER to happen for me). I also need to focus more on transverse abdominal exercises (helps support your core, back and actually holds your stomach in - not to make you look skinny but to make you have better posture and body control). This is also a good exercise for pregnancy because these muscles help support the uterus and a full term baby comfortably. Therefore, I may not have the back pain or tilting that I had previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment