Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Decorating Kaine's Room - Finally!

I have decided to decorate Kaine's room. I have been putting it off, because we are renters and don't have space of our own. Since he has turned two, I have gotten the itch! This is what I am thinking:

Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn

I have been looking every where (online anyway) for things that will bring the theme out. When I think of Huck Finn and old Tom I think of dirty overalls, white wash, rickety rafts, the smell of grass, dirty feet, sling shots, stick and line poles, and general dirty summer like boys smells and sights. Doesn't that sound delightful?

The only problem is that it is REALLY hard to find things that go with this theme! I thought, "Oh, everyone knows this book, surely there will be plenty of things out there that I can collect to get it together!" No such luck. Etsy has, by far, been the best place to look. But, you have to actually LOOK for things. You have to be creative in the ways you search for things. I think at one point I even typed in "dirty feet" in the search box, just to see what would come up! (Nothing, by the way!) I was lucky enough to find two Jim Daly prints, in rustic wood frames, of two famous scenes from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I also found a cologne bottle (I had her empty it because she can't send it through the mail like that anyway) that is from one of Avon's old collections. It is a boy with a stick and line fishing pole and a straw hat, I am not sure how big it is but, I thought it would be super cute.

When Kaine was first born I bought some jean curtains on the discount rack at Walmart that have hoops (the things they hang from, or that go around the rod) that are like overall snaps. They even have the metal button and hook. They are pretty plain but the effect will be awesome with this theme. I practically forgot I had them until I started to write this. I didn't hang them at the Lake because there were already pre-existing window coverings. However, I may have to figure out a way to use them. They are too perfect and cute not to.

I am on the lookout for something that resembles a white picket fence or something that is rustic style with a  white washed look to put in his room. I even want to come up with a way to use old (made in a pinch) fishing poles for something. I have not come up with a creative way to incorporate it yet. If I was really crafty and creative, I would make his bed look like a make-shift raft. That will have to come later though.

1 comment:

  1. OHHHH loren i have a million ideas for this! what an awesome theme for a boy's room!!

    i'm going to have to send you an email or this comment will be waaaay too long.

    ReplyDelete