Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gym and C-Sections

--> Picture: This is me trying to push because they said that I was 9 1/2 cm and that I could push through to see if I could get to where I needed to be. Keep in mind this is without pain meds and induced contractions. See the swelling in my legs and feet? That is the complication that I mention later in this blog called preeclampsia (can cause seizures and the only cure is delivery). People in this pic R to L: My midwife, me, Matt, my nurse, and Libby the Nazi nurse midwife that they gave me!! SO, ever went to the gym for an assessment and came home completely depressed? Well, I can't say completely depressed, it did give me energy and I slept better than I have in Months (or even since I have gotten pregnant about a year and a half ago!). So that is pretty good. I found out how much I weight though and I cried, yes actually cried. I had a sneaking suspicion that it was more that what I could live with but I had no idea how bad it actually was. No, I am not going to tell you what it is. I'll just say that if I plan to get pregnant again than I will have to lose close to 50 lbs in order to do it. (I was overweight the first time by 3oish lbs and had a good pregnancy but ended up with a C-section due to complications). I plan to be in the best health for my height and build up my abs so that I do not have weak abs when I go into labor (this could cause me to have another C-section because of the risk of tearing - OUCH!). And if I have another C-section then I may not have another baby because in the state of FL if you have two then all consecutive deliveries will be scheduled C-sections. And let me tell you, C-sections are NOT what I would EVER choose, I honestly do not know why anyone would EVER choose to have one! You know how you hear about all of those women opting to get a C-section instead of going into labor to miss the pain of labor. Well, let me tell you something! You still get the pain and WAY more! What they don't tell you is even when you get a C-section you are still sent into labor by pitocin and are not given meds until you are at least 4 centimeter dialated and then you get your epidural and you still have to wait to get to 10 cm before you get your C-section. And let me tell you, that pitocin induced birth is MORE painful than natural birth anyway! Your body naturally has an ebb and flow when you go into labor but with pitocin (artificiall) your body is sent into the most painful part of the contractions then it last for up to a minute and a half (sometimes longer!) and then you are released from this death grip just to be attacked again in a matter of seconds! Its rediculous! Anyway, now that I went off on that tangent! The point of this is to tell you that I DO NOT IN ANYWAY EVER WANT ANOTHER C-SECTION IN MY LIFE! And would like to at least have one experience of a natural, nonmedicated birth and, I have to say, if I am able, possibly a home birth. I must say that I do not take kindly to people judging me on this issue. I welcome your comments and questions but I will NOT tolerate people berating me about my opinion about this! I am in support of what ever someone chooses for themselves and their own baby (or babies) when they are pregnant. I believe it is COMPLETELY the womans choice to have a birth the way that SHE feels is right for her! I do not believe everyone can or is willing to give birth without pain meds, but I do believe that it is my God given right to be able to do it if I SO CHOOSE! People should support it and get out of her way! Of course, if there is a medical reason that she cannot have the birth of her dreams than she should absolutely get medical intervention (for her and the babies health and wellbeing). As I had to. Okay, this blog was suppose to be about the horrors of realizing how far I have let myself go but, instead, it has turned into a fight for the right to give birth how you choose. That's life, don't you love it!?

4 comments:

  1. I have never been prouder of you then I was when you were in labor. I know you were probably going crazy, but you seemed so calm and under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you said that! Mom made it sound like I was going crazy! But I did see that video that she took and I remember that moment and I looked like I was in wonderful control, even though I felt like I was a little lost. Hopefully next time will have a better outcome! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one else had to deal so intimately with your decision, so I don't understand all the criticism either. (Your mother, however, just doesn't want her child to know pain, which is only natural).

    I was thrilled to see that you and Matt educated yourself about pregnancy and health matters. Love to you both xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, she had a really hard time with the whole thing. I wanted to get her involved in the process before hand but it never seemed to work out. I think if she would have been more educated on the process she would have been more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete