Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving



Link to the picture above: http://positiverealestateprofessionals.com/ara/files/2009/11/wild_turkeyTOM.jpg via: "The Arkansas Realtor"

I have mixed feelings about this holiday. I love all of the food. I love to be with family (most of them, anyway). I hate having to choose between which family I spend it with, however. The plan, as it has worked out, this year is:

Cook our own Thanksgiving, for the day
Go to Matt's parent's house in the evening

This means that my family does not get any attention this year. For this, I am bothered. I love spending time with my family, all of the traditions and such. I hate having to choose who to spend the day with! 

Why have we come to such a compromise this year? Well, that is the question to ask! This year my grandmother is hosting Thanksgiving at her house. She lives in Fernandina, FL. The last time that I drove out there for the day, it took me 3 hours to get there. One way! This is how it would be if we went:

Get up at 7 am
Get in car by 8am
Drive 3 hours to arrive at 11am
Eat Thanksgiving lunch with my family

Leave at 1pm
Drive 4 hours to get to Ocala
Arrive at 5pm
Eat Thanksgiving dinner with Matt's family
Go home exhausted


This is not feasible! We would have to be in the car for a total of almost 8 hours of this day (we would have a 40 minute drive back home from Ocala). I could drive to Atlanta for the day! So this is the new plan:


Stay home
Get up whenever we want (the baby and Matt anyway!)
Cook some Thanksgiving food
Give Kaine a nap
Go to Matt's parents house when Kaine wakes up
40 minute drive
Eat and hang out
40 minute drive back
Not being exhausted from the day


This is a total of 80 minutes or 1 hour and 20 minutes of driving. This, as you can clearly see, is WAY better! 


But I did say I was having mixed feeling, didn't I? Well, part of me feels bad for having to choose and the other part of me is saying, "This could be good!". I may be able to set my own traditions and spend time with my little family and be truly thankful for what I have. So, I have decided to focus on this last part. We are not doing something all that extravagant for our meal. This is what we will be having:


Citrus-Stuffed Herb roasted Turkey
Roasted Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and broccoli with Toasted Hazelnuts
Holiday Waldorf Salad
Cranberry Orange Relish
Sweet potato Pie


Not the typical, but better for you! This is all from the cook book: "The Healthiest Meals on Earth" by Jonny Bowden, Ph.D, C.N.S.


Either way, should be good and looking forward to it!!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving, don't forget to think on what you are truly thankful for!!


No comments:

Post a Comment