Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Discussion

I am thinking about having a conversation with my mother-in-law about boundaries. I am not really sure how to go about it. Especially since I have been warned of an upcoming conflict. So...

I feel like she is over stepping her bounds. I do not appreciate the way she comes about things. She tends to just do stuff (because she is bothered by it) and not care how it makes anyone else feel. Instead of coming to a problem and talking about it, she takes it into her own self and makes a solution that she is happy with (without concern for others or what they would have wanted or liked). Or so, to me, it seems.

My biggest issues are:
Taking over with Kaine (in my presence)
  • she talks over me when I am talking to him
  • she undermines my authority
  • she will give him things (such as juice and junk food) knowing I do not like it
  • she will come in and pick him up when he is being talked to about his mistakes (or being disciplined-while I am talking to him)
She butts into Matt and I's relationship
  • She is constantly telling us to be nice
  • When we are having a discussion, she tells us to stop and act a certain way 
  • She tries to control what we say and do (like we are her kids, not a married couple)
  • She puts herself into a position of power, so that Matt has a hard time of making his own decisions
  • She is nosy and wants to know things that she has no right to know
Personally:
  • She is nosy
  • She takes over my house
  • She takes over my child
  • She thinks she can say whatever she wants, whenever she wants
  • How she pouts about not getting her own way (this I won't bring up, it is just a valid point)

2 comments:

  1. "warned of an upcoming conflict..."?? with you? it sounds like you tolerate way more than the average person would already!

    little foibles and annoying habits from your MIL are to be expected, but 1) undermining your authority over your children, and 2) butting into your marriage, are both totally inappropriate and i have to say matt needs to put her in her place if she won't respect you enough to listen when YOU say it.

    it sucks but that's the only way she's going to get the message, i think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I talked to him about it. He said that he would rather do it because she "takes things to personally and gets butt hurt to easy". I didn't want to give up my authority (or make it look like he was speaking for me). But, now that I have had time to cool down, it seems like it might be best for him to REALLY say something (I tend not to trust that he is strong enough with her-which is part of the problem).

    ReplyDelete