Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

New VBAC Wording

USA Today VBAC Article

Click on the link to view the full article. You have to purchase the rights to it in order to copy/post any or all of it. I would rather send you straight to it (I am sure they would too). I found out from the midwife (in the last post) that they are changing the wording on VBAC and the official stand. Not much changed. However, they are verbally saying (as you will see in the article) that they are in support of women having VBAC's now. Of course, they mean in a hospital with staff alerted to what is going on.

I have come to the conclusion that this does not apply to me. I am not one of those c-section people who went and got pregnant right after having the first one. (It is recommended that you wait at least 18 months before becoming pregnant again. Go here for an article about this.) Kaine is 26 months old. I have been doing exercises to strengthen my core (or the muscles used to support the uterus and baby). I did not have muscle separation. I was almost completely healed at 3 months (no stitches, no bleeding, no pain, no complications, etc...) Plus, while laying on the table I was told, "You are a GREAT candidate for VBAC".  Thank you very much! I accept!

I am moving forward from my tragic birth. I am no longer going to ask myself "what could have been?", I am no longer going to dwell on "what might happen". When and if we get pregnant we are going to treat the birth like a first timer going through it. My uterus will just have to learn how to get a baby out. I am letting go of the fear that something terrible is going to happen (Go here for stats on uterine rupture caused by VBAC). Basically it states that:

"Dozens of studies report that for women who have had one prior cesarean birth with a low-horizontal incision, the risk  of uterine rupture is 0.5% to 1.0%." That number is just not high enough for me to worry. Plus, I have NO other warning signs for rupture (I am currently losing weight to lower my risk factor even more. I am not sure if this is a medical truth, but I figure that it could not hurt. The idea being that if you are overweight you don't have good tone and therefore, are putting more stress on the belly (with the help of gravity) and making your scar weaker. This, by association, means that you would not have the muscle support you would need to help your uterus hold a baby and give birth.)

I am moving on. I am having a home VBAC. I am finally healed from my trauma (enough to know that you can never be healed and you accept and learn from what has happened). I will use this to help others, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment