Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Kaine and his Binky

Kaine is doing well. I am doing better than expected about letting him cry about the binky. Although, it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be in the first place. Today was harder than yesterday. He had Matt to comfort him when he no longer wanted me. Today he just had me, which was hard for both of us. He ended up not taking a nap today because he couldn't get comfortable with out his binky.

Bed time was rough. Matt tried to lay with him but it annoyed him. Kaine was chewing on his blanket and annoying Matt. Kaine was okay, until he got up and Matt told him to go back to bed. He then started to cry for me and I went into him. I sat with him for a while. He asked about his binky and I told him it was gone and we didn't have any more. Which made him cry. He then said something like, "My mouth". Which meant that he couldn't sleep because he wanted (and has a sensation for) his binky. (I can relate, I sucked my thumb for a REALLY long time and know the feeling that he is trying to get over- the hardest part!) I tried to soothe him as best I could (rubbing his back, patting him, trying to hold him). He then asked for water (something he never does! He usually wants milk). I went and got it for him and was able to just give it to him and leave. I didn't hear another peep from him. I am thinking that the sucking required for the cup helps with the sensation and I am sure the water also helps (sucking creates saliva production). So, if this is his transition item, I am okay with that!

He does seem to be getting a lot better. His speech has actually improved within the time that he has not had his binky. (But this may just be a coincidence because this is the time of life when speech and cognitive development is at a boom.) I am expecting tomorrow to be the worst day. However, we are going to the Butterfly museum in Gainesville, so he will, at least, have a distraction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment